Friday, November 13, 2009

October: Austin City Limits

For the first time in my life, I have done what all Austinites are required by birth to do. Just as believers of Islam must make the pilgrimage to Mecca, Austinites must, at least once, brave the crowds and attend the renowned Austin City Limits Music Festival.

Months beforehand, I had secured my three day wristband. Days beforehand, the weather reports looked grim: rain. But rain or no, thousands of music lovers, adorned with umbrellas, ponchos, and rain boots flocked to Auditorium Shores. (Citywide shortage of listed items ensued.)

The first day was perfect. Cool and cloudy, with an endless green lawn stretching from one stage to another. I stayed with my friends and heard The Kings of Leon and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. The next day, the rain started, but even that was a relief compared to 100 degree heat. I made contact with the Alien Mud Child. I also managed to squeeze my way into the fifth row, where I fell in love with Ghostland Observatory. By Saturday night, Auditorium shores had turned into a sea of mud. Sunday was sweltering, goopy, and the air hinted of the primary ingredient of Dillo Dirt: treated sewage. I left early and spent hours trying to resurrect my shoes from their mud tombs. But overall, ACL was a great experience.




Sick sick sick dance moves. (Ghostland Obsevatory; not at ACL)

No comments:

Post a Comment